Thursday, October 24, 2013

The "L" word...

So this week in class we talked about the "L" word. You guessed it, love! The word "love" means so many different things! So we talked about four different types of love. The first is called agape - which is a love that is independent of one's feelings for another person; the idea that you can love someone without necessarily liking them, or have charity towards them. The next is storge - which is usually thought of as the love between parents and their children; it is a nurturing, concern for  their well-being type of love. Another type of love is called phillia - which a warm or close relationship; like the love that exists between friends. And finally there is eros - which is romantic or sexual love, like the love that exists between a man and a woman. We all experience most of these types of love in one form or another. And personally I believe they're all very important. So, what kind of love do you want in a marriage relationship? You might be thinking that the obvious answer is eros, but I don't think we should discount the other types of love in this consideration. I think a good percentage of all of them would be ideal. For example, I have every intention of being as concerned about my future husband's health and well-being as I do my future children's. I hope to be able to express love in a caring and supportive way that some might consider to be nurturing. Also, because of my faith in Jesus Christ I know that I will love my future husband simply because he is a child of God. I know that my future husband will be my best friend and that we will develop a close and personal relationship that we can continue to develop for years and years. And obviously I hope to have romantic relationship with my future husband. I suppose the degree to which each type of love will be part of our relationship will vary as the years go by, but love will always be there. So here's to my "some day" family and all the love we'll share!

2 comments:

  1. Cute title of your post this week! I agree that the various aspects of love are all necessary components of happy marriages. In your opinion which is the most common aspect of love that is often less noticeable in marriages? Elder Uchtdorf discusses love beautifully, "love is the great commandment, it ought to be at the center of all and everything we do in our own family...Love is the healing balm that repairs rifts in personal and family relationships... It is the source that overcomes divisiveness and hate. Love is the fire that warms our lives with unparalleled joy and divine hope. Love should be our walk and our talk." This quote emphasizes that love should be a central aspect of our lives and should be expressed to all those around us. I loved that you mentioned the truth that certain aspects of love between a husband and a wife, such as sexuality, might change through time, "love will always be there." What a beautiful thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the least noticeable aspect of love in marriage is agape. At least it seems to me it's the one you may have to make the most effort to utilize. I think it's super important to remember that your spouse is a child of God. That it is your privilege to progress with him/her towards eternity and you must be charitable and forgiving especially in this sacred relationship. And perhaps that may be the most important kind of love, because everything else builds off of it even though it is "independent" of your feelings for another person. If we can keep this type of perspective we can make love last through eternity, because love really is forever.

    ReplyDelete