One thing that I found really interesting was that there are stages or "stations" of divorce. They include:
- emotional - detachment from your spouse and from the marriage in general
- legal - when the court says it's officially ended
- economic - division of resources
- co-parental - custody of children
- community - division of friends and other relationships
- psychic - becoming your own person again
There's a reason divorce is a topic most people like to avoid. It changes a lot of things in so many people's lives, and it's usually a pretty painful experience. But when we understand divorce a little bit better, I think we can not only prepare to help people who have gone through a divorce, we can also work to avoid it. So here's to my "some day" family! I hope we never have first-hand experience with divorce, but I also hope we can help and encourage those around us who do.