Saturday, December 7, 2013

Purposes....

I believe there are purposes for everything in life. A vast majority I think we probably don't understand, or maybe we just don't know yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't a purpose. This week in class we talked about parenting, and we discussed the purposes of parenting.

Michael H. Popkin said that the purpose of parenting is "to protect and prepare our children to survive and thrive in the world they are going to live in." My teacher Brother Williams defined the purpose of parenting as, "to help children to be successful in this life and to prepare for eternal life." I think both definitions are worth mentioning because both contain very strong points. I think it is significant to mention that parents are responsible to teach their children not only how to survive, but also to thrive. Personally I don't want my children to just "get by" in life. I want them to be happy and to feel like they contribute and are successful no matter what they choose to do. The second noteworthy point which is mentioned in the second definition is that we are not only preparing our children for this mortal experience but also for eternal life. I hope that I will be able to instil an eternal perspective in my children as we progress through life together.

Parenting helps parents to prepare for eternal life because parents must learn to sacrifice and develop selflessness. They learn to discipline and teach, and to try to be more like Heavenly Father as they do so.They come to understand and know God through their experiences as parents, and they learn better how to love. Children are prepared for eternal life through their parents' instruction, guidance and discipline. They learn how to contribute to the world and benefit society. And they too learn to love and come to know God as they develop relationships with their parents. Parenting is such an important part of life, and truthfully it has so many purposes. But most importantly I think it helps us become like our Heavenly Parents. So here's to my "some day" family - I hope we can learn some of the purposes of life together. And I pray I will be able to fulfill my purpose as a mother some day.

1 comment:

  1. I also believe that we should live our lives intentionally and with purpose! How better to parent than to parent with purpose? You gave a beautiful thought that we should seek to "instill an eternal perspective in... children." Why do you believe this is such an important aspect of parenting? How does our relationship with God influence our parenting? I love the thought given by Elder Maxwell, "There are no perfect families, either in the world or in the Church, but there are many good families. My spiritual applause also goes to those heroic parents—left alone by death or divorce—who are righteously and “anxiously engaged” in nurturing and providing for their families, often against such heavy odds." When we try to lovingly and courageously raise children the Lord will reward our efforts. What excites you most about parenting?

    ReplyDelete